This is a very fine hand-colored menu card with gilt edge from an unrecorded social event, catered by Louis Sherry on Sunday, January 27, 1884. Provenance: William R. Grace (1832-1904), two-term Mayor of New York City.
Around 1880, with $1,300 of savings, Louis Sherry launched his first restaurant in New York City at 38th Street and Sixth Avenue. The new establishment struggled a bit at first, but Sherry's knack for "dainty decorations" and the "novelties of service" won a following from New York's social elite. In a short time, Sherry upgraded to a larger (and more prestigious) location at 37th Street and Fifth Avenue. But even that location proved too small, and again the business upgraded to 44th Street and Fifth Avenue.