Hotel Coronado, St Louis 1920s
The Hotel Coronado, an ornate and historic building designed by St Louis architect Preston J. Bradshaw, opened in 1923. It was named after the Spanish explorer Francisco Vazquez de Coronado who led an expedition into the American southwest in 1540-41. He had heard rumors of seven fabled cities where the houses were made of gold. They did not exist, of course, but one of his scouting parties discovered the Grand Canyon. During Prohibition, the hotel was mostly dry apart from the Coal Hole, a downstairs bar that remained wet throughout the official ban on alcohol. Until it closed in 1965, the historic hotel’s salons and ballrooms were mainstays of St Louis social life. The building stood empty for years before being transformed in a meticulous renovation and reopened in 2003, housing apartments and restaurants.
This Art Nouveau menu – dated in the 1920s – has Pan, the god of the wild, hunting and companion of nymphs, sitting in the bottom left corner.
Courtesy St Louis Public Library.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
All printed in USA.
Each product is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu where available.